Canonical access functions available?
There are certain functions that most any simulator needs to compute on road data. I see that the algorithms for such functions can be quite complex (and thus prone to implementation error) for an OpenDRIVE road description. I am wondering if there are any reference implementation libraries, or pseudo code algorithm descriptions, etc. available as a guide? Or is this intended to be the value-added intellectual property of the vendors using OpenDRIVE?
- if there is a vehicle on a road at position S, lane ID L, in the center of the lane, compute the (x,y,z) location of the vehicle.
- ...and compute the orientation (heading, pitch, roll) of the above vehicle given that its heading is aligned with the lane centerline tangent and it has 3 support points at given offsets from the vehicle location.
- if the vehicle above moves a distance DS along the lane (which of course does not mean that its s coordinate along the road reference line changes by the same amount DS), what is its new location? (or, its new position S' with respect to the road reference line).
For the latter function, it could be moving along a lane with changing width/border, moving along a curving road geometry, entering a new lane with a different width/border function, entering a new lane section with different lanes, and/or entering a new road geometry.
These functions can be built using information in the OpenDRIVE spec, but this would be something that I wish could be found on the OpenDRIVE web site.
#1 Updated by Marius Dupuis about 1 month ago
- Status changed from New to In Progress
- Assignee set to Marius Dupuis
- % Done changed from 0 to 20
There are commercial libraries available but no OpenSource yet. But I think it's a good idea to have a certain set of functionality available to the community free-of-charge. We should continue this discussion.